You can’t go wrong when adding bacon to a recipe, and we thought the combination of crispy bacon with warmed chic peas sounded like a pretty good idea. We love how incredibly easy it is to make and that it can be done in one pot. We like to serve this in place of a salad for dinner, but it would also go over well for a social gathering. This is just a great combination of flavors; earthy spinach with nutty chic peas and spicy red pepper flakes, all drizzled with olive oil and made even more amazing with crispy bacon bits…talk about yum! While spinach and chic peas are healthier ingredients, we like the “balance” that the bacon provides, keeping this dish right where we want it: delicious!
Sautéed Chickpeas With Spinach and Bacon
25 minutes to prepare serves 4
- 1 (15 oz) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3-4 slices bacon or pancetta, diced
- 3 cups spinach, tough stems removed
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- 1/2 to taste black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Add diced bacon or pancetta to a large skillet and cook over medium-high heat. Remove from skillet and set aside to drain on a paper towel.
- Carefully wipe skillet to remove some of the excess grease. Pour in chickpeas and saute on medium-high heat until just browned, about 3-5 minutes. (Note: add 1 tablespoon olive oil if skillet gets too dry)
- Add garlic and sauté about 1 minute, or until fragrant. Add red pepper flakes, paprika, and cinnamon, then stir to combine.
- Add spinach to skillet and press down slightly until wilted, about 2-5 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer to serving dish. Optional: drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil just before serving.
Recipe adapted from The Foodinista