When temperatures cool down, there’s really nothing better than digging into a warm and hearty soup; the thicker the better, we say. Broccoli cheddar is one of our favorites, and this recipe is the way to do it! It really delivers on flavor and creaminess packed with broccoli and cheese, you get a ton of bang for your buck and you will feel it warm you up from your core! This soup tastes delicious and is fool-proof to make; get cooking and see how much you love it!
Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 2 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a medium pan over medium-high heat, saute onions and garlic in 1 tablespoon butter until softened.
- In a large pot, cook remaining butter with flour to create a roux, 3-4 minutes. Once pasty and thick, add in half-and-half and chicken stock. Let simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Add onions, garlic, broccoli, and nutmeg to mixture and simmer for another 25-30 minutes, until thickened.
- Stir in cheddar cheese until melted, taste and add salt and pepper to your liking.
Optional: Puree soup to smooth out chunks, or serve as is.
Recipe adapted from Yammie’s Noshery