Okay, this might seem too good to be true, but stick with us. It really is possible to make soft-serve-like ice cream using only one ingredientbanana!
It’s true. The key is to chop the banana up into small pieces (making it easier to blend later), freezing it so it’s solid, and then pulsing it in the food processor. While the fruit starts off a little gritty, if you keep blending it, it’ll be smooth and creamy in just a few minutes. Then you can either dig in then and there, or add in some extra ingredients to customize your flavor. Your options are basically limitless, so get going and try out a batch today!
One-Ingredient Ice Cream
Yield: approx. 2 cups
- 2 large, ripe bananas
-Nutella: 1/3 cup nutella spread
-Chocolate: 1/3 cup cocoa powder, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract, 2 tablespoons heavy cream
-Tropical Fruit: 1/4 cup frozen pineapple, 1/4 cup frozen mango, 1/3 cup orange juice
- Take your bananas and finely chop them up into small pieces.
- Transfer chopped banana to a wax paper-lined bowl, loaf dish, or baking sheet, and place in freezer.
- Freeze for several hours or overnight, until bananas are completely frozen.
- Remove from freezer and place bananas in the bowl of food processor.
- Pulse for about 5 minutes, scraping down sides as needed, or until mixture is smooth and creamy.
Note: bananas will be gritty at first, just keep blending until smooth.
- Once smooth, add in desired ingredients to customizewe like adding 1/3 cup nutellaand blend until fully combined and smooth.
- Transfer ice cream to bowls and serve immediately, or place in a large container and freeze until firm.
- Garnish with ingredients of your choice and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Cup Of Jo