We are suckers for those carb-loaded, creamy dishes, despite knowing that they’re not doing us any favors health-wise…they just taste so good we can’t get enough of them! Luckily we found a way to get that same delicious creaminess that’s way, way better for us.
Cauliflower is the secret ingredient here, the wunderkind that makes this dish work so perfectly; we did use some heavy cream, but the majority of the sauce’s smoothness comes from this white veggie. Here, we used it in a healthy side dish, but you could just as easily use this creamy sauce in macaroni and cheese or over baked chicken – talk about versatile!
Cheesy Cilantro Cauliflower Rice
- 1 large head cauliflower, cut into florets, stems removed
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 1/2 cups hot cooked rice
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Combine chicken broth and water in a large pot and bring to a boil. Add cauliflower and cook for 8-10 minutes, or until tender.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove cauliflower and transfer it to food processor, along with lime juice. Pulse for 10-15 seconds, or until mixture is semi-smooth.
- Add cilantro and continue pulsing, then slowly pour in heavy cream. Pulse until creamy and smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper, and taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary.
- Place garlic and butter in a small, microwaveable bowl and microwave at 20-second intervals until melted.
- Remove and discard garlic, then stir garlic-infused butter into the hot rice. Add cheddar and stir until combined.
- Transfer rice to serving plates and drizzle cilantro cream sauce over the top. Garnish with fresh cilantro and more vegetables, if desired.
Recipe adapted from Pinch Of Yum