If you’re like me and don’t like
bog fruit cranberries, you probably scour for ways to dress them up. It’s just like having a unique spin on a favorite casserole or the best way to make gravy. Well, I have an answer. I promise this cranberry apple crisp is not for dessert – it’s the best Thanksgiving side ever!
Cranberry Apple Crisp
Yields approximately 8 servings
- 3 medium honey crisp apples
- 1/2 cup cranberries, chopped
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- coarse salt to taste
- 4 tbsp cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1/2 cup pecan halves, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup old-fashioned rolled oats (not instant)
- 3 tbsp light brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Quarter apples lengthwise, then thinly slice. Toss in a large bowl with cranberries, granulated sugar, cinnamon, and a pinch of salt until evenly coated.
- Butter an 8-inch square glass or ceramic baking dish. Mix pecans, flour, oats, brown sugar, and a pinch of salt in a bowl until combined. Work in butter with your fingertips until topping is crumbly, with pea-size chunks.
- Spread apple mixture in prepared dish; sprinkle with topping. Bake until filling is bubbling and topping is golden brown, 25 to 30 minutes
- Let cool slightly before serving. Enjoy!