There’s nothing better than a lip-smackingly delicious dish that comes together quickly and easily, and this recipe fits the bill perfectly. Like a cross between a doughnut and a beignet, fritters can be savory or sweet…and with our sweet tooth, we had to try our hands at a simple cinnamon fritter that hits the spot in every way!
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- powdered sugar, garnish
- vegetable oil, for frying
- Heat 2-3 inches of oil in a large skillet or Dutch oven until it reaches 365º F.
Note: make sure there’s at least 3 inches of space between the top of the oil and the top of the pot.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in a large bowl and whisk together.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the milk, egg and melted butter until incorporated, then pour it into the flour mixture.
- Stir everything until just combined.
- Use a spoon to drop heaping amounts of batter into the hot oil and fry (4-6 at a time), flipping occasionally, until golden brown on all sides. Around 3 minutes.
- Remove fritters with a slotted spoon and transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain, then dust liberally with powdered sugar.
Recipe adapted from Emeril