If you haven't already stepped aboard the quinoa train, now is the time to do so. Quinoa is a super healthy “grain” (it's technically a seed) that is full of protein and fiber, and you can use it is as much healthier substitute for rice or, as in this case, oats!
While we used to start our mornings off with a piece of toast when we were younger, we've tried to swap that for something a little more filling, to really get the day going on a good note. Oatmeal is great, but this quinoa breakfast bowl totally steals the show. Hands down. We sweetened things up with some deliciously caramelized cinnamon apples, but you can feel free to use whatever sweetener you like, or just keep it simple with some milk and raisins, but you should really try the apples, cause they're amazing!
Cinnamon Apple Quinoa Bowl
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 large apples (we like Granny Smith), peeled, cored and chopped
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- pecans, chopped, garnish
- maple syrup, optional
- Combine quinoa with water, milk and salt in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, cover saucepan and reduce heat to low. Cook for 15 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed. Then remove from heat and use a fork to fluff quinoa.
- Heat butter in a medium pan over medium-high heat and add apples, brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Stir everything together so the apples are all coated and saute until apples are softened and tender and sauce has caramelized. 12-15 minutes.
- Transfer quinoa to serving bowls, drizzle in 1/2 tablespoon maple syrup, and top with cinnamon apples and pecans. Serve hot and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Cookie Monster Cooking