We’ve said it before and we’ll say it again: chocolate and peanut butter is our absolute favorite combination; anything even remotely chocolate/peanut butter-related immediately gets a “win” in our book!
In this case, we’ve got our favorite rich and dense chocolate cupcakes (with a surprise inside!) and we’ve paired them with a crazy delicious peanut butter frosting, which we could easily eat straight from the bowl…and have eaten straight from the bowl. Trust us, you’ll feel the same way once you try these – you’ll want to eat the whole batch!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcakes
Yields 2 dozen
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 4 oz. bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso granules
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 24 mini chocolate peanut butter cups
- 2 1/4 cups creamy peanut butter
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4-1/3 cup heavy cream, or to taste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350º F, line 24 cupcake tins with liners and place a mini chocolate peanut butter cup in each cupcake tin.
- Combine bittersweet chocolate and butter in a large, microwaveable bowl and microwave at 20-second intervals, stirring in between, until melted. Place in fridge for 5 minutes to cool down.
- Whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl
- One at a time, beat eggs into slightly-cooled melted chocolate, then mix in vanilla extract and espresso granules.
- Alternate between adding flour mixture and buttermilk to the melted chocolate, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients, and mix until smooth.
- Divide batter evenly among the cupcake tins and place in oven.
- Bake for 17-22 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out mostly clean and tops are springy to the touch.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- In a large bowl or mixer, cream together peanut butter and butter until smooth and creamy, and mix in salt and vanilla extract.
- Alternate between adding powdered sugar and heavy cream and mix until desired consistency is reached. Beat on high for 1 minute until fluffy.
Note: add more heavy cream for a thinner frosting, less for a thicker frosting.
- Once cupcakes have cooled, frost with peanut butter frosting and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from 12 Tomatoes