These bars are a delicious treat that’s got the best of two worlds: buttery shortbread crust that melts in your mouth and rich, nutty fudge browniesyou really can’t beat that combo! While these bars look like the combination of a variety of more complex recipes, we promise you they’re really not that hard. Go ahead and make your brownies from scratch, but feel free to customize a box mix with walnutsjust know that the shortbread crust comes together super easily, as does the chocolate drizzle that goes on top. These bars are tasty and decadent and we know you’ll love them, cause we can’t get enough!
Walnut Brownie Shortbread Bars
Makes 1-2 dozen bars
- fudge brownie box mix or use this recipe
- 1 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup bittersweet or semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) cold, unsalted butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350º F and line a 9×9-inch baking dish with parchment paper or aluminum foil, leaving a 2-inch overhang on both sides.
- In the bowl of food processor, combine flour, sugar and salt and pulse together.
- Gradually add cold, cubed butter and vanilla extract and pulse until dough begins to come together.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and form a dough ball with your hands.
- Transfer dough to greased baking dish and press firmly into the bottom, corners and edges of dish in an even layer.
- Place dish in oven and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until crust is a light golden color.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
- Prepare brownies according to directions. When batter is ready, fold in chopped walnuts and mix until just incorporated.
- Pour batter over cooled shortbread crust and place in oven. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until edges begin to pull away from baking dish and center is set. (It’s ok if center has cracked.)
- Set up a double-boiler with a heatproof bowl set over a simmering saucepan of water over low heat.
- Place chocolate chips and heavy cream in top bowl and stir until mixture is completely smooth and melted.
- Remove brownies from oven and let cool 15 minutes.
- Drizzle chocolate over brownies and let cool completely.
- Remove bars from baking dish by extracting parchment paper and cut into squaresenjoy!
Recipe adapted from Food