We’ll be honest with you, it is quite possible that we are drooling as we write this…these cupcakes are just that good. These dense, chocolate frosting-topped chocolate treats are most definitely something you need in your life and are absolutely worth the added effort of making them from scratch. (While you’re more than welcome to use a box mix for the cupcakes, making them from scratch really is phenomenal – it’s whatever works for you.)
Once you get these bad boys in the oven, it’s time to whip up your decadent chocolate frosting. Seriously, if you weren’t totally sold on the cupcakes themselves, this frosting will make a believer out of you. Just be careful not to eat too much as you’re making it – you have to save some for the cupcakes themselves!
Chocolate Fudge Cupcakes
Yield: approx. 20 cupcakes
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 4 oz. bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso granules
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt or kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 350º F and line 2 cupcake tins with liners.
- Combine bittersweet chocolate and butter in a large, microwaveable bowl and microwave at 20-second intervals, stirring in between, until melted. Place in fridge for 5 minutes to cool down.
- Whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl
- One at a time, beat eggs into slightly-cooled melted chocolate, then mix in vanilla extract and espresso granules.
- Alternate between adding flour mixture and buttermilk to the melted chocolate, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients, and mix until smooth.
- Divide batter evenly among the cupcake tins and place in oven.
- Bake for 17-22 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out mostly clean and tops are springy to the touch.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- In a large bowl or mixer, cream the butter until fluffy and creamy. 2-3 minutes.
- While the mixer is still running, combine the powdered sugar and cocoa powder in a large sifter and alternate between sifting the two and pouring the heavy cream into the creamed butter.
- Mix in the vanilla extract and salt and beat frosting on high speed for another 2-3 minutes, or until shiny.
- Frost cupcakes (garnish with a white icing, if desired) and serve immediately.
Recipe adapted from Instructables