We love the classic caramel candies like Twix and Milky Way, but we’ve got a soft spot for coconut that always has us craving the sweet, slightly crunchy goodness. These candies are a breeze to make at home, so grab your ingredients and get cooking…the finished product will blow you away!
Chocolate Coconut Bars
Yield: 2-3 dozen
- 3 1/2 cups finely shredded sweetened coconut
- 2 cups semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips
- 6-8 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract, optional
- Place shredded coconut in the bowl of food processor and add 6 tablespoons corn syrup. Pulse until coconut is finely ground and sticky.
- Once mixture sticks together, use a tablespoon to scoop out balls of coconut and press them into flat bricks or ovals that are 3 inches long and 1/2-inch thick.
- Place chocolate chips in a microwaveable bowl and microwave at 30-second increments, stirring in between, until chocolate is melted and smooth.
- Stir in sea salt and vanilla extract, if using, then use a fork to submerge coconut bars in melted chocolate, then transfer them to a parchment-lined baking sheet to set.
- Place bars in freezer to chill for at least 1 hour, then serve chilled or at room temperature.
Note: when pressed together, mixture should hold its shape. Add 1-2 more tablespoons corn syrup if mixture is still too dry.
Recipe adapted from Chowhound