Distinguished by its rich flavor, Sauce Espagnole is a classic French sauce and is actually one of the five âmotherâ sauces, toting with it a hefty amount of history and lore. This simple yet extremely tasty chicken dish is accompanied by our own quick-to-make version!
Requiring very little prep, this sauce only takes a few minutes to throw together, so we recommend putting the chicken in to start baking about 25-30 minutes ahead of time. After 40 minutes or so, the butter will have crisped up the skin on the breasts to a nice golden color and your sauce is ready to add to the pan. It really brings chicken to a whole new level. We love it spooned over a heaping dollop of garlic mashed potatoes, but we think you'll agree that it's good on almost anything!
Chicken Breasts with Mushroom Espagnole
1 hour to prepare serves 3-6
- 3 chicken breasts, skin on
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon tomato paste
- 4 tablespoons tawny port or similar red wine
- 1 can (10 3/4 oz.) can condensed golden mushroom soup
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1 medium shallot, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 400Âº F.
- Salt and pepper the chicken breasts and place them, skin down, into a shallow 13 x 9 inch baking dish.
- Pour melted butter over chicken breasts and bake for 40 minutes, flipping over halfway through.
- While chicken breasts are baking, in a medium bowl, whisk together tomato paste, golden mushroom soup, beef broth, tawny port (or red wine), shallot, fresh rosemary, fresh thyme, salt and pepper.
- At 40 minutes, remove chicken breasts from oven, pour combined ingredients into baking dish and bake for another 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve over mashed potatoes, rice or egg noodles!
Recipe adapted from Cooks