Thereâ€™s just something about a hearty gumbo that warms the heart, even when youâ€™re chilled to the bone! We love meals that leave you satisfied after just one bowl, and with this protein and fiber filled gumbo, one bowl is all youâ€™ll need! Black eyed peas have numerous health benefits including lowering blood pressure, helping with digestion, and keeping blood sugar balanced.
Chock-full of healthy veggies such as celery, bell peppers, and tomatoes, and a bit of a kick with green chilies and garlic, this gumbo is flavorful and good for you. Win win! And did we mention itâ€™s a one pot meal? Thereâ€™s nothing better than being able to throw everything on the stove and let the magic happen while you relax after a long day at work! Plus, this recipe is so flexible, just toss in whatever veggies you have on hand. It doesnâ€™t get much easier (or healthier) than this!
Chicken and Bean Gumbo
1 hr 15 minutes to prepare Serves 8
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 cup brown rice
- 4 (15 oz) cans black eyed peas, with juice
- 1 can diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Fresh basil (for topping)
- Heat oil in a large pot and cook chicken pieces until done. Set chicken aside.
- In the same pot, sautĂ© onion, garlic, green pepper, and celery until tender.
- Pour in chicken broth, add rice, cooked chicken, black eyed peas, diced tomatoes with green chilies, and diced tomatoes. Stir to combine.
- Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for about an hour.
- Chop fresh basil and sprinkle on top of gumbo before serving.
Recipe adapted from Recipe 4 Living.