We like to go vegetarian every once in a while, but we have to make sure that it’s tasty and that it’ll be a dish that actually fills us up, instead of leaving us hungry after an hour. When we do decide to forego meat, this is one of our favorite go-to recipes because it’s delicious and hearty!
Stuffed with brown rice, rich mushrooms and broccoli, and smothered in cheese, this casserole is a force to be reckoned with. You may have some persnickety eaters in your group, some who maybe (think they) don’t like mushrooms, but this dish will show them what they’ve been missing and make a believer out of them, it’s that good! If you want to give a flavorful, filling vegetarian dish a shot, this is the one for you!
Cheesy Mushroom Rice Casserole
- 3 cups cooked and cooled brown rice
- 2 cups mushrooms (cremini, shitake, baby bella, etc.), chopped
- 1 (10 oz.) package frozen broccoli, thawed and drained
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups cheddar cheese
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup mozzarella, grated
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Italian herb blend
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 425º F and lightly grease a 9×13-inch baking dish.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt butter and whisk in flour to create a roux.
- Cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly, until flour cooks, no lumps remain, and mixture is golden.
- Continuing to stir, gradually pour in heavy cream and whisk until smooth. Then add rice, mushrooms, onion and broccoli.
- Season with salt, pepper, garlic powder and Italian herb blend. Pour in chicken or vegetable stock.
- Transfer mixture to baking dish and sprinkle cheeses over the top.
- Place in oven and bake for 18-22 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
Recipe adapted from Kalyn’s Kitchen