Although we may have some coleslaw at a summer barbecue or serve cabbage soup on the occasional snowy evening, vitamin-packed cabbage rarely gets the attention it deserves. This cheesy casserole recipe sneaks cabbage into a flavorful combination of beef, tomatoes and gooey cheeses for a satisfying dish that will have even cabbage-haters asking for seconds. We loved the hearty texture and comforting flavor, but what we really like about this dish is its simplicity. With just a few basic ingredients and a single skillet, you can have a warm, filling and delicious dinner on the table in less than an hour. Can't argue with that!
Cheesy Cabbage Casserole
- 1 small head cabbage, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 can diced tomatoes, 14 1/2 ounces
- 1 can tomato sauce, 8 ounces
- 1 cup shredded cheese, Mexican blend
- 1 cup white rice, uncooked
- 1 2/3 cups water
- 1 small onion, chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Brown ground beef and onion in large skillet over medium-high heat until beef is no longer pink and onions are tender. Season with salt and pepper, drain, and return to pan.
- Stir in cabbage, diced tomatoes and tomato sauce, and cook over medium heat until cabbage is just tender. Add rice and water, increase heat, and bring mixture to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, and cover with a tight-fitting lid. Simmer about 25 minutes without uncovering until rice is tender and most liquid is absorbed.
- Remove skillet from heat. Sprinkle with cheese. Replace lid, and allow cheese to melt completely.
- Serve and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Diary Of A Recipe Collector