Enliven your dinner with a great vegetable casserole! A simple tian is a delicious way to get your vegetables in. This casserole bakes much like a tian and deliciously combines roasting with some crusted Italian cheese on top.
For our recipe we combined sliced potatoes and zucchini with some yellow squash and tomato. We seasoned the dish simply with some thyme, salt and pepper, and then we topped it all with cheese to provide a perfect crust to the dish. Serve this tian with a crisp white wine to perfectly round out the meal. Keep reading below for this excellent recipe…
Summer Vegetable Tian
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium zucchini sliced into thin rounds
- 1 medium yellow squash sliced into thin rounds
- 1 medium Yukon Gold potato rinsed and sliced into thin rounds
- 1 medium tomato sliced into thin rounds
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, minced
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup shredded Italian cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Finely dice the onion. Saute the onion in a skillet over medium heat with olive oil until softened (about 5 minutes). Add the garlic and cook until fragrant (about 30 seconds).
- Spray the inside of an 8″X8″ baking dish with non-stick spray (or coat with butter). Spread the onion and garlic mixture over the bottom of the dish. Place the thinly sliced vegetables in the baking dish vertically in an alternating pattern. Sprinkle with tsalt, pepper, thyme, and rosemary.
- Cover the dish with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil, top with cheese, and bake for another 15 to 20 minutes, or until the cheese is golden brown.
Recipe adapted from William Sonoma