Butter. Potatoes. Two of our favorite words! And when they join forces in the oven, the result is one super delicious side dish that we could eat pretty much every day. Instead, we try to control ourselves and only indulge from time to time. There are plenty of ways to roast a potato and all of them are delicious, usually, this means tossing our potato of choice with oil, salt, and pepper. This alone is super good and typically the method that we most often fall back on, but when we want something a little more golden and with a dash of additional flavor, then we use this recipe and it has yet to fail us.
Several factors contribute most to the golden color and amazing taste of these potatoes. First, we use new potatoes, which are already golden in color and we leave the skins on. Next, of course, is butter rather than oil. Butter will help to crisp the potatoes in a slightly different way, making them more golden and flavorful.
Usually salt and pepper are out go-tos for seasoning and we use those here for sure, but we’ve added garlic, thyme, paprika, and a little ground mustard. Everything is tossed together and spread evenly over a baking sheet and roasted for 30 minutes in the oven. What comes out is a perfectly golden potato that is crisped on the outside yet soft on the inside, and each bite has the right balance of seasoning.
Simple food that tastes good is what our family loves, and brings everyone to the table eager to share a meal, and boy, do these potatoes draw a crowd! They’re not only delicious, they’re also an inexpensive way to put up a side dish that is hearty and satisfying. Just about any protein will go well alongside these golden beauties, so pick something that your family loves and that is easy to cook. Our recipe is easy for a weeknight dinner but is just as suitable for a dinner party. We hope you enjoy these as much as we do!
Buttery Roasted Potatoes
40 minutes to prepare serves 6-8
- 3 pounds small yellow new potatoes, halved
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon ground thyme
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and lightly coat with cooking spray.
- Combine salt, black pepper, garlic powder, ground mustard, ground thyme, and paprika in a small dish. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss potatoes with melted butter. Add spice blend and toss again until potatoes are well seasoned.
- Spread potatoes evenly over baking sheet.
- Bake potatoes on center rack for 25-30 minutes, tossing potatoes halfway through for more even baking. Remove from oven when potatoes are fork tender.
- Serve warm. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Tastes Of Lizzy T.