If you want to spice up your morning with a simple homemade cereal mix, why not mix together your own simple muesli? This Swiss breakfast is a combination of rolled oats with other grains, seeds, nuts, and dried fruit. You can make your own and serve it with milk, or even on top of yogurt. Here’s our simple recipe that can be made in large batches ahead of time and stored for at least a month. Feel free to experiment with your own favorite combination to find what you love for breakfast!
(makes about 4 cups)
- 4 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup barley flakes
- 1 cup rye flakes
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries or chopped dates
- 1/4 cup dried apricots
- 1/2 cup flaxseed meal
- 1/4 cup shelled pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup chopped roasted almonds
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/4 cup candied ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Place the oats on an ungreased and unlined baking sheet.. Place the coconut on a second ungreased and unlined baking sheet. Toast the oats and coconut until golden brown and fragrant (about 5 to 7 minutes). Remove the oats and coconut from the oven and allow to cool.
- In a large bowl, toss together all of the ingredients, then store in a bag or airtight jar.
- Serve with milk or over yogurt with fresh fruit.
Recipe adapted from Bon Appetit