Is there anything that makes you happier on a cold day than yummy hot chocolate?! We hope the answer to that is “No”. Hot chocolate is such a treat during those days when you’re (hopefully) snuggled up inside, and we have a way to make it even better. American-style hot chocolate alla Swiss Miss is always good, but Italian hot chocolate fills the void you didn’t even know existed! Italian hot chocolate is a much thicker, richer drink that is basically just a chocolate bar in liquid form. The definition of indulgence, this warm beverage will be the highlight of your day and you’ll be longing for more, long after you’ve finished the pot. Introduce your friends and family to this drink and reap the rewards, everyone will love it!
Italian Hot Chocolate
15 minutes to prepare serves 2
- 4 oz. dark chocolate, shaved
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3/4 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- whipped cream, optional
- Place shaved chocolate in a small saucepan over low heat and add 2 tablespoons milk and vanilla extract.
- Use a wooden spoon to stir chocolate as it begins to melt.
- Slowly add remaining milk and continuing stirring until completely smooth.
- Add in sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, and sea salt, and stir until everything is dissolved and combined.
- Once mixture boils, let it cook for another 1-2 minutes, or until thickened enough that it coats the back of your spoon.
- Pour into 2 mugs (top with whipped cream if desired) and serve immediately.
Recipe adapted from Bell'Alimento