Cheesy gratin in one of our favorite side dishes, but it doesn’t always feel hearty enough when we pair it with something light. In order to beef up our gratin (pun intended), we decided to add some deliciously seasoned beef, along with some onion and garlic, and then pair it all together with deliciously creamy and cheesy potatoes.
Our whole family loves this dish and have requested we make it numerous times; whether it’s for a regular weeknight dinner or for when you’re entertaining and you want to impress, this dish really delivers!
Meat And Potato Gratin
1 hour to prepare Serves 6-8
- 3 pounds white potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 1 pound ground beef or lamb
- 1 1/2 cups (sharp) cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 white onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- fresh parsley, garnish
- Place potatoes in a large pot of salted water and bring up to a boil. Cook for 20 minutes, or until potatoes are fork tender.
- Drain and set aside. Preheat oven to 375º F.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and sauté onion until softened and translucent. 6-8 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper, and add garlic and cook for 1 minutes, then add ground beef. Cook, breaking up into smaller pieces, until meat is browned all over.
- Season with cumin, cinnamon, nutmeg, chili powder, salt and pepper, then drain beef and remove from heat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, heavy cream and milk.
- Arrange half the potato slices so that they’re partially covering one another in a large 9x13-inch baking dish.
- Sprinkle half of your cheese on top of the potatoes, then evenly spread beef out on top.
- Arrange remaining potatoes on top of beef and pour egg mixture (making sure to distribute it evenly) over the potatoes.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese over the top, then place in oven and bake for 20 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly and potatoes are heated through.
- Remove from oven and let sit 5 minutes before serving.
Recipe adapted Simple Clean Living