Originally created in England in the 70s, banoffee is the winning combination of banana and toffee. Banoffee pie, as you may have guessed, is a crazy delicious toffee banana concoction, set over a tasty cookie crust. Plus, in our take on this classic, we also decided to throw in a rich layer of nutella to top things of. Really, this stuff is so good, you have to try it!
Yield: 1, 9-inch pie
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1 cup nilla wafer crumbs
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 medium, ripe bananas, sliced
- 2 cups sweetened condensed milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- nutella, optional
- chocolate sauce, optional
- Preheat oven to 425º F.
- Combine cookie crumbs, sugar and cinnamon in a large bowl and fold in melted butter. Stir until butter is totally incorporated and mixture resembles wet sand.
- Transfer crust mixture to a 9-inch pie dish and use your hands to press it firmly into the bottom and up the sides in an even layer.
- Pour condensed milk into an oven-proof baking dish, then cover dish tightly with aluminum foil and place dish inside a large roasting pan.
- Pour 1-1 1/2 inches of boiling water into the roasting pan, making sure that the water doesn’t reach the foil covering the dish.
- Place roasting pan in oven and bake for 2 hours (refilling with water every 30-40 minutes), or until condensed milk is thick and has turned a deep amber color.
- Remove roasting pan from oven and carefully pour toffee into a separate bowl. Refrigerate toffee until chilled. 1-2 hours.
- Take chilled cookie crust out of oven and spread a (thick or thin) layer of nutella onto the crust, then place sliced bananas evenly on top of the nutella.
- Pour toffee over the bananas, making sure to evenly distribute it around the pie.
- In a large bowl or mixer, beat heavy cream until soft peaks form, then sprinkle in powdered sugar and vanilla extract.
- Continue beating until stiff peaks form, then spread whipped cream over your banoffee pie.
- Return pie to refrigerator to chill for at least 30 minutes, then drizzle with chocolate sauce (optional) and serve cold.
Recipe adapted from Epicurious