When the time comes for a snack, we’ve been guilty of noshing on the biggest health offenders, but that doesn’t have to be the case! We tried these out a few days ago and have completely seen the light. Now, we can get that sinfully tasty fried flavor while still getting a serving of vegetables! It might not be the healthiest snack, but it’s definitely a huge shift in the right direction and we seriously encourage everyone to try these cheesy, cheesy (that’s right, double cheesy) zucchini crisps out. They’ll blow your mind…you’re welcome in advance!
Parmesan-Cheddar Zucchini Crisps
- 3 zucchinis, sliced into thin rounds
- 3/4 cup Panko breadbrumbs
- 3/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- vegetable oil, for frying
- Preheat oven broiler.
- Heat 1/2-inch vegetable oil in a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium heat until thermometer reaches 350º F.
- Set up an assembly line with flour (seasoned with salt and pepper) placed in one shallow bowl, eggs in a bowl, and Panko and parmesan mixed together in a third shallow bowl.
- Take zucchini rounds and dredge them thoroughly in flour, then shake off excess.
- Dunk them completely in the egg wash and allow excess to drip off, before dredging them in Panko/parmesan mixture.
Note: press firmly so breadcrumbs and cheese adhere.
- In batches, transfer zucchini into the frying oil and cook, flipping in the middle, until golden brown. 1-2 minutes per side.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and place on paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- Transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet, top with cheddar cheese and place under broiler for 2-3 minutes, or until cheese is melted, then serve immediately.
Recipe adapted from Damn Delicious