While we all know and love the classic green bean casserole, made with some variation of green beans, cream of mushroom soup and fried onions, we decided that our mozzarella green bean bake deserved some love and affection as well, it’s just as good (if not better), after all!
This casserole is packed with flavor, is easy to make (especially if you use canned beans), and is sure to win over even the pickiest of eaters. You may have some who proclaim not to like veggies, but that’s only because they haven’t tried this yet! The mozzarella has a great mild flavor, so it works perfectly with the green beans and other seasoning; only teamwork here, so nothing is too overpoweringtry it out and see for yourself!
Mozzarella And Green Bean Casserole
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh French green beans, halved, ends removed (or use 2 cans green beans, rinsed and drained)
- 10 oz. mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 white onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400º F and set up a large bowl of ice water next to workstation.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil and add beans. Cook for 4-6 minutes, or until bright green and tender-crisp.
- Transfer green beans to ice bath to stop from cooking further, then drain and place in a large baking dish. (11×7 works well.)
- Melt butter in a medium pan or skillet over medium heat.
- Once melted, saute onion until softened. About 4 minutes.
- Stir in flour and garlic powder and cook for 1 minute, stirring until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Mix in sour cream and cook until mixture just begins to boil.
- Pour sour cream mixture over green beans and mix together so everything is thoroughly coated, then sprinkle grated mozzarella over the top.
- Place baking dish in oven and cook for 20-22 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Remove from oven and let cool 5 minutes before serving.
Recipe adapted from Recipe Tips