We ended yesterday with a great fried rice recipe that works as a very good side to your favorite Chinese recipes. To start today off, I decided why not provide a recipe for another classic Chinese entree that would fit perfectly with fried rice? Orange chicken only felt natural.
A good orange chicken should have just that little bit of sweetness and tanginess to it without being completely overpowering. It should also have that beautiful, slightly sticky gloss and marinade that perfectly coats the chicken. Most orange chicken recipes will have you fry the chicken first for that great crispiness to it, but if you want to make this dish healthier, skip the breading and the frying. Cook the chicken pieces in a skillet, then pour the sauce over and let the chicken and sauce boil until you get that perfect gloss to it. Keep reading below for this delicious recipe...
Orange Chicken Recipe
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground or grated ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless chicken breasts cut into 1" chunks
- 1 cup and 2 tablespoons cornstarch, divided
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame seeds
- Make the marinade: whisk together chicken broth, orange juice, honey, vinegar, soy sauce, garlic, orange zest, sriracha, ginger, and white pepper in a bowl.
- In a large zipper-lock bag or lage bowl, combine the chicken and 2/3 cup of the marinade. Marinate the chicken for at least 30 minutes, turning the bag occasionally. Drain the chicken from the marinade and discard the marinade.
- Heat the remaining mardinade in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Bring the marinade to a boil. Stir together 2 tablespoons of cornstarch with 2 tablespoons cold water, then stir that into the marinade. Cook, stirring frequently, until thickened (about 1-2 minutes. Keep warm.
- One at a time, dip the chicken into the beaten eggs, then dredge in the remaining 1 cup cornstarch, pressing in to coat.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large saucepan. In batches, add the chicken and fry until golden brown and cooked through (about 1-2 minutes). Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate, then discard the excess oil. Serve the chicken immediately, tossed with the marinade and garnished with sesame seeds.
Recipe adapted from Cooking Classy